Medicross Family Medical and Dental centres
The Medicross primary healthcare brand is a household name across South Africa, comprising nation-wide multi-disciplinary primary care
and dental centres complemented, in selected cases, by pharmacies and day-theatres. Medicross is a proud member of the Netcare Group -
Netcare provides the following services:
- Our private hospital and trauma services comprise 55 owned hospitals including private facilities forming part of Public Private Partnerships. Netcare has 9,052 registered beds, 338 operating theatres and manage operating theatres and 87 retail and hospital pharmacies. Netcare's wholly-owned subsidiary, Netcare 911, operates the largest private emergency medical service in the country with over 6.9 million insured lives and a fleet of over 180 response vehicles and ambulances, and 3 helicopter and 2 fixed-wing air ambulances.
- The Primary Care Division operates medical and dental provider services through Medicross, as well as a managed care organisation that focuses on the low income market, extending healthcare to previously uninsured lives through Prime Cure. This includes a national footprint of 88 Medicross and Prime Cure Medicentres, with 41 retail pharmacies and 12 day-theatres.
A group of 568 independent doctors and dentists provide comprehensive primary health services to about 3,5 million patients, funded through private medical aid insurance, managed care capitation premiums or self pay arrangements.
- The Netcare Travel Clinics are part of the spectrum of services managed by the Primary Care Division.
- The Prime Cure managed care organisation manages a current cohort of 254,000 capitated lives across 49 medical scheme options, ranging from primary to full risk options. The managed care business manages a designated provider network of more than 10,000 health service providers which includes 3,877 contracted doctors and dentists.
- National Renal Care (NRC) IS A 50% joint venture between Netcare and Adcock Ingrams Critical Care, and is the largest private dialysis provider in South Africa. NRC has a national foot print offering haemodialysis at 56 facilities, peritoneal dialysis (PD) at 8 specialised PD units, amongst other services.
Our UK business
In 2001 Netcare entered the UK market to provide specialised healthcare services on contract to the National Health Services (NHS). In May 2006, Netcare acquired a controlling 50,1% interest in General Healthcare Group (GHG). GHG owns BMI Healthcare (BMI), the largest private acute care hospital provider in the United Kingdom. In August 2006 Netcare UK merged with GHG's NHS service provider business, Amicus, to operate as a single service provider.
The United Kingdom business provides the following key services:
- Private hospital services through BMI, operating 64 acute care private patient hospitals with 3,038 registered beds, 192 operating theatres and 50 in-house pharmacies.
- NHS services through Netcare UK, an established independent service provider to the NHS, operating surgical centres, ophthalmic units (specialising in cataract operations) and an NHS Walk-in Centre in Leeds.
Download our full corporate profile in PDF format. Our full corporate profile includes:
- Netcare Company Profile
- Our Purpose, Vision and Values
- Company Strategy
- Brands within the Group
- Divisions / Services
Corporate Social Responsibility